The instruction of botany in Kasetsart University began with the establishment of the University in 1943. At the time, botany was part of Department of Biology, Faculty of Agriculture and Animal Husbandry. Then in 1966, Faculty of Science and Arts was founded, and the Department of Biology was moved into this new faculty. The Department of Biology included a large number of staff and therefore was divided into 5 areas: botany, zoology, microbiology, genetics, and applied radiation and isotopes. In 1981, these five areas became their own department, as they are today.
Even before becoming an official department, Kasetsart University had produced a number of graduates in Botany (both bachelor’s and master’s) since the time of Faculty of Agriculture and Animal Husbandry. The Department of Botany has become an official department on January 28, 1981. Today, the department offers three degree programs: Bachelor, Master, and Ph.D. in botany. The main research areas include plant structure and taxonomy, plant physiology and molecular biology, plant biotechnology, and plant biology.
The Department of Botany is currently located on the second and third floor of Sukpracha Vajanondh Building and the ninth floor of Devi Yanasukon Building. In addition, the department maintains a plant nursery next to the Biochemistry Building. In Sukpracha Vajanondh Building located the departmental office, classrooms, laboratories, and faculty offices. The teaching laboratory for General Botany and other classes are in Devi Yanasukon Building. The nursery provides a space for a number of greenhouses for teaching and research, as well as the Botanical Knowledge Museum that aims to educate the public about plants and their uses.
Since the foundation of department, ten faculty members have served as departmental chairs:
- Associate Professor Utt Boonnitee (1981 – 1989)
- Associate Professor Tiemjai Komkrit (1990 – 1991)
- Associate Professor Dr.Wongjan Wongkaew (1992-1995)
- Associate Professor Khun Ying Suchada Sripen (1996-1998)
- Associate Professor Kamolpan Namwongprom (1998 – 2002)
- Associate Professor Dr. Nirun Jantawong (2002 – 2006)
- Associate Professor Dr. Sureeya Tantiwiwat (2006 – 2010)
- Associate Professor Dr. Srunya Vajarodaya (2010 – 2014)
- Assistant Professor Dr. Chatchai Ngernsangsarauy (2014-2018)
- Assistant Professor Dr. Nuttha Senivas (2018 – present)